Home Page

Site Map

Full Index

Artist Index

Subject Index
<< Previous Sculpture
Federal Triangle (54 sculptures)
Go to The Ellipse


Next Sculpture >>
Federal Triangle (54 sculptures)
Go to Foggy Bottom

.

SHEPHERD, Alexander Robey "Boss": Memorial at the District of Columbia Bldg in Washington, D.C.
by U.S.J. Dunbar
located in James M. Goode's Federal Triangle area (click link for more in that area)

Scroll down for 4 pictures
Click here for more info

Alexander Robey Shepherd (1835 1902), better known as Boss Shepherd, was one of the most controversial and influential civic leaders in the history of Washington, D.C., and one of the most powerful big-city political bosses of the Gilded Age. He was head of the DC Board of Public Works from 1871 to 1873 and Governor of the District of Columbia from 1873 to 1874. He is known, particularly in Washington, as "The Father of Modern Washington." Source: Wikipedia




Previous sculpture — Next sculpture
Go to The Ellipse — Go to Foggy Bottom
Back to top


0000500/00650_0000009780 (added ca. 2006)


The statue of General Pershing in Pershing Park is faintly visible in the background (bottom center).

Previous sculpture — Next sculpture
Go to The Ellipse — Go to Foggy Bottom
Back to top


0000500/00650_0000009790 (added ca. 2006)


Some of the Arts & Enterprises in the District statues are visible atop the District Building.

Previous sculpture — Next sculpture
Go to The Ellipse — Go to Foggy Bottom
Back to top


0000500/00650_0000009800 (added ca. 2006)


The John A. Wilson Building is the headquarters of the local government that serves the nearly 600,000 citizensof who call the Nation's capital their home. The Mayor and the 13-member Council, elected by the residents ofthe District of Columbia, oversee all functions similar to those of city, county and state governments across America.Dedicated as the District Building on July 4, 1908, it was renamed in 1993 for John A. Wilson, a former Council Chairman.The marble and granite Beaux Arts style building was designed, after a national competition, by the Philadelphiaarchitectural firm of Cope and Stewardson. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. An extensive restoration and expansion with a contemporary six-floor addition designed by thelocal architectural firm Shalom Baranes Associates was completed in 2001.

For much of its history, the District of Columbia was governed by three Commissioners appointed by the President of the United States. In 1973 Congress enacted the District of Columbia Home Rule Act thatgave residents the right to elect the Mayor and Council yet maintained congressional jurisdiction over the District. The struggle for increased home rule and voting rights continues today for residents of the Nation's capital who pay federal taxes but, unlike other Americans, have no voting representation in Congress.

Previous sculpture — Next sculpture
Go to The Ellipse — Go to Foggy Bottom
Back to top


0000500/00650_0000009810 (added ca. 2006)

More Info
See
James M. Goode's
'Washington Sculpture' (hardcover p 155 Item #4.29; Federal Triangle area);
'Outdoor Sculpture' (paperback p367 Item #J-8)

Medium: Bronze
Artist: U.S.J. Dunbar
Related subjects: Politicians
Location: 1350 E St NW Washington, D.C.
See Federal Triangle area in James Goode's Washington Sculpture
Nearest Metro: Federal Triangle (Orange - Blue - Silver) (click station name for all sculptures nearby)
Smithsonian American Art Museum's Art Inventories Catalog: Control number 76009581 (dcMem ID #650 )

Links & other sources
The Names of Washington D.C. (p135)
Wikipedia article on Shepherd Park
Wikipedia article on Shepherd

Back to top
© 2013 dcMemorials.com, all rights reserved